<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whitebutterflyfurniture.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Little Bit of Sanity and A Lot of Chaos: Floors. Floors. Floors.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Floors. Floors. Floors.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I think it is going to be great! You guys are fantastic. And make me feel like it was a good decision.

Enough sap. Onto some projects!

We had carpet on our main floor.

Then that darn cat, Ripley peed all over our house. (BTW - we still talk about that damn cat.) 

So we had to take the carpet up. Okay, I HAD to take the carpet up. I did it. ALL BY MYSELF. 

Just like the stairs. That went from this: 


To this:


And finally this:


I took the carpet up and moved furniture and sold some stuff and we lived with the sub-floor for just a few days. 


I cut it up in sections so that I could take it out by myself. And then the garbage collectors would not get angry with me. They were so glad I did that!


We then pulled staples and vacuumed the sub-floor. Oh, and I painted the trim in both rooms. Just getting started with that continuous project. I'm pretty sure that part is going to take forever.


We decided to go with vinyl plank flooring. We picked a special order color called "Mellow wood" it's just slightly lighter than the stairs. I love the color!  After we figured out that our rooms were slightly off square, we started cutting and measuring.


Once you get things figured out and start, it goes pretty quick. The planks just need to be measured and scored with a utility knife and then snapped apart.


Not too bad. We did both rooms in less than a day. We rolled it with a rolling pin at the time and then we will be renting a huge roller to go over the seems again.

This is the front room. That big ol' ugly leather chair will be banished to the basement. Then a nice small chair will be coming in. 


Here's the family room. And we took that couch to the basement as well. It's an awesome couch, it just sits awfully heavy in the room. The dark floors and dark couch were making it feel very dark, when the goal was to actually lighten up the house.








The flooring is Armstrong Vinyl Plank. So far I am impressed. Of course I am treating them like real wood! "Don't wear your shoes! Don't scrape your toys. Don't put furniture directly on top!" Ugh. I'm sure I'll get over that. 

Now, we just need a place to sit!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

So pretty, amazing what you can do together and save on the labor.

September 28, 2010 at 6:04 AM  
Blogger ROBIN18447 said...

Going to be doing my steps love the color. So what color and type of paint did you use?

September 28, 2010 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Looks awesome! We (I mean me) are in the process of painting all of our trim white too, will do the stairs in the Spring and hopefully get wood floors by summer! Yours really looks great!

September 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger Becca Bertotti said...

Your floors are beautiful! And, your stairs are gorgeous! I envy your talent! And, congrats on your new "gig"! *Becca*

September 28, 2010 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

This is PERFECT timing....we are getting ready to to the same thing. Rip up ugly berber (WHY do people put that stuff in eating areas and bathrooms?????) and put in vinyl planks. We're on a slab, so I don't know if we'll need to put something down first....

And the carpet WILL be removed from the stairway. JUST LIKE YOURS. Love.

September 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger KLM said...

Beautiful floors. Love the color! :)

September 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger MandeeFoFandee said...

what an amazing difference! they look fabulous! and don't worry about scuffs or scratches... vinyl hardwood is actually a lot tougher than you think! ;)

September 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

The stairs are awesome and I love the pumpkin idea!

The wood floor looks great. I'm sure you are very happy with it! Now the kids can slide across the floor in their socks!!

September 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

The floor is beautiful. Too bad you can't slipcover leather!

XO,
Jane

September 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

It looks so great!! I think the vinyl plank flooring was a great choice! They often use it in commercial applications in places like Walmart and such, so let those boys wear their shoes and play!! ;)

September 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It looks great! Did you have to seal the subfloor for it to adhere well? I love the color. I can't believe you are painting trim. Ah, welcome to my world!

September 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It looks great! Did you have to seal the subfloor for it to adhere well? I love the color. I can't believe you are painting trim. Ah, welcome to my world!

September 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks SOOO good!!!!!

September 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

It looks GREAT!

September 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Looks fab. I'm going to copy your pumpkin idea too:)

September 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home