<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whitebutterflyfurniture.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Little Bit of Sanity and A Lot of Chaos: We are actually teaching them something.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We are actually teaching them something.

We were at the gas station and there was a huge semi truck parked in front of us and Porter saw it and said, "Mommy, P-E-P-S-I." And I whipped my head around and said, "You know all those letters?" And he said, "Uhh-huh. Duh." Hysterical! So funny because we practice all the time, but usually we are helping him out. He has never done it on his own. I was so proud. And then this next thing happened and I realized we were doing our job and raising good kids:

Because Gus has been sick, he's been pretty vocal. Crying. He doesn't cry or fuss usually. He is the happiest baby on the block. (But not because of that book.) So, he was sitting in the bouncy and Jack was playing on the floor and Gus was squaking. I was in the kitchen. Gus squaking. Crying. Squaking. Hard to tell the difference. Jack got up off the floor went over to Gus and started talking to him and gave him his pacifier and started saying, "It's okay baby. It's okay Gus." ADORABLE. Seriously. Jack got a surprise marble in his jar*.

Then later. Porter had just gotten home from school. For some reason Gus can hold down saltines. No formula. Just saltines. So I asked Porter to take one to him. He did, perfectly. But then. Then. Gus was squaking again. Crying. Squaking. Crying. Porter and Jack were playing together. No fighting. And Gus continued to cry and I'm trying to get his medicine. Porter climbs up on the counter grabs a cracker and takes it to Gus. I said nothing to get him to do it. He just did it. Gus is happy. Mommy is happy. Porter got a surprise marble in his jar*. Awesome.

We have fantastic children.

*We do a reward system. When they fill a jar with marbles they get to go to the water park. They only GET marbles. They don't lose marbles. Rewards people. Rewards. But, if they have bad days, then they don't get a marble. And we decide together how their day went. And, Tom and I get to give them marbles whenever we think they deserve an extra one. They love it. So far!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mama Thompson said...

I hope you weren't seriously questioning your "good parenting" skills:) And can I just say that I am SO glad you "give" marbles but don't take away...I feel so bad when parents take away what a child has earned...just my own mommy rant:)

February 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love this marble idea! I think I'm going to talk to my hubs about that and start one at home. The fact that it's a reward and not a punishment makes it even better!

February 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home