This Page

has moved to a new address:


Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Little Bit of Sanity and A Lot of Chaos: On the day Jack was born...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On the day Jack was born...

Because I have to remember all the details...

For Jack's birth I wanted to try and NOT use drugs. Nothin'. I was not impressed with the epidural that I had with Porter's birth. (I'll write that post another day.) So, I was determined to try without. I didn't go into the birth thinking that I would absolutely not use anything. I just went in thinking that I was going to give it a try.

Back track. I started having contractions on a Thursday morning. Easter Thursday 2007. All our children were born on or around a holiday. Odd how that happened. Nothing came of the contractions, but I did call my dad and tell him that this kid was comin'. So he drove down. The day went on and nothing happened. Easter was Sunday, so we had plans. Of course, plans changed. He was supposed to come on the 10th!

At 10 pm we had just put fresh sheets on our bed and we were laying down and I said, "It would really suck if my water broke on our fresh clean sheets." And not 30 seconds later I started to feel a dribble. This is no joke. I thought I was peeing. Really. So I went to the bathroom. It just wouldn't stop coming out. But, I wasn't having any contractions. And it wasn't gushing. So I put down a pee pad that we had in our guest room from when my mom stayed with us (another story for another time). And I tried to sleep and tried to figure out what to do. Because I wasn't sleeping and I was feeling like a slow drip faucet, we decided to go into the hospital. We got there about 2 am. They confirmed that my water broke but also said there was a second sac of fluid. Meaning that Jack's head got in the way and he was stopping the fluid from getting out.
Get this - they waited until shift change, at 7:30 am to rebreak my water. Seriously. I could have been done so much sooner! Angry mother on board. Ugghh.
So, they broke my water again. I started having small contractions and they moved me to a room. We had a great nurse who assured me that she wouldn't give me an epidural if I begged for one during a contraction. I had to wait while I wasn't having one to ask for one. That worked for me.
I bounced on a ball. I walked around. Then I got in the bathtub. I had major contractions there and I found the contractions much easier to deal with while in the tub. But then. Then I wanted an epidural. Then I wanted to push. Then I had to get out of the bath immediately. There was no time. No time for an epidural. Reason being he was coming!
I couldn't get comfortable and so I draped myself on top of the ball. Ball on bed. Me draped over ball. Jack was ready and they wanted me to flip over and lie down. NO WAY. NO HOW.  So I birthed that baby while on all fours draped over an exercise ball. I leave the grossness of the ordeal out, but my rear was in the air for the world to see.
I remember pushing twice. I remember swearing A LOT. Lots and lots of F-bombs. It was beautiful. I also remember Tom telling me to breathe. And me telling him to f-ing breathe. Not pretty.
We were the talk of the OB floor for two reasons. The first, no one had ever given birth while lying on top of the birthing ball. That was a first. Two, apparently you're not supposed to give birth in the hospital without an IV started. No IV. The doctor was not happy and started the "always start an IV" rule. Even if there is nothing going in. Huh. Makin' our mark.
But this is pretty. He was beautiful. April 6, 2007. 6 pounds 13 ounces. Born at 10:19 am. Four days early. He slept through the night at 12 weeks. He started getting ear infections at 6 months. Then we didn't sleep. He is funny and goofy and smart. He is a pain in the patooty. And we love him.


Labels: ,


Blogger Ruby Red Slippers said...

So sweet-not the swearing part, but everything else, well, not the birthing ball visual, but all the emotions of the day...LOL
P.S. I was one who swore a blue streak with last one too, and I did have an epidural... which wasn't working, but my mouth was!

February 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

That sounds awesome and definatly not something you'll ever forget! I was in labor with Liam for 35 hours...35! I got to 9.5 cm of dilation and the rest was swelling so I had to have a c section after ALL that labor and hard work! I'm gonna have a vbac with this next baby...I can't wait to see if I can do it! I'm gonna try and go drug free and plan to do as much laboring as i can in the tub to lessen the contractions!

February 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Rustique Gal said...

Kirsty, What a story! I've never had kids, so I can hardly imagine!!! Your last 2 posts-I love the furniture you have made and remade. The bookcase and hutch are great, and the credenza in blue is so pretty! Have a great day! Sherry

February 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Queenplinker said...

Aw, he's so beautiful. Your so beautiful holding him. Sheesh, Im gonna cry. I'm going to have a glass of wine and hang out with my kiddos.

Have a great evening, Lynea

February 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love your birth story! Mine is so similar, only I wasn't on all fours on the ball,and my water didn't break until after I was in labor. Your story brings back so many memories for me. Giving birth au naturel was one of the most satisfying experiences of my life, seriously. I can still remember the satisfaction I felt when, with every push, I could feel him moving further. I can't imagine not being able to feel that. Thank you for writing this!

February 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Kirsty said...

Lynea - I'm out of wine, so have some for me!
Kelsey - Good luck! You'll do great. Love the bathtub!
Rubes- Don't tell anyone but I have a mouth like a sailor...it's awful.
Katie - I LOVE birth stories. They are my favorite stories to hear!

February 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Magic Brush said...

My kids were all born around a holiday too!!!!! Oct 29, Nov 26 and Dec 16. So we have a Halloween, a Thanksgiving and a Christmas baby. My Jan 1 we are broke! Ha!

I tried having all 3 of them drug free. I ended up begging for the good stuff on each of them. Darn it. Still wish I could have done it. Kudos to you!

February 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

Amazing story! The pictures melt my heart! So beautiful!

February 24, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger SweetMelissa said...

Precious...and hilarious!!


February 24, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home